Sunday, February 17, 2008

Heritage week in Abbotsford, BC

I'm still trying to figure out the plot twist in "Scotland Road", the play we saw in Langley at Trinity Western last Wednesday evening. So if anyone reading this has any idea what the meaning of the play was, please clue me in. I overheard someone in the lobby saying, "Well, you know, Art! It is what it is" But it didn't have a satisfactory ending to me. I hate things where you have to make up your own ending, or it's left open for a sequel. Gr-r-r-r.

This week coming up is Heritage Week and Downtown Abbotsford is celebrating with all sorts of offerings. Such as: Braiding Bread; Making a Vintage Friendship Album, etc. So to celebrate, I am taking a class on how to make infant moccasins at Big Foot Moccasin. Always wanted to make my own shoes and should be able to size these up to make something for my foot too. And the vintage photo album might be an interesting thing to do too, if I have time that day.

I finished my quilted jacket for the quilt show and am starting my challenge quilt tomorrow, so that, with luck, I will have all the things done by March that I will enter in the show. Was hoping to do some journal quilts but am just not all that enthusiastic about making something that has no functional use. I guess I could alwys just stick it in an album to show that at one time I DID at least try to be artsy-fartsy. I cannot do art for art's sake, it must have a purpose to be allowed space in our home.

We got the quote on the cost of renovating the basement for a quilt studio for me, and it seems feasible, but there will be a lot of work between now and when I turn my machines on in the completed room. Almost 5 years ago, I went through everything in my sewing rooms (2 back bedrooms upstairs) and discarded over 3 garbage bags of "junk" mainly lesson plans for things I was never going to teach again, and patterns that were hopelessly out of date. Now I look at the accumulation in there and am just amazed at how little time it takes to completely overload a room. So I will have a major job of chucking out before I move downstairs. I will have to look for a gas firelace too as it can get quite chilly downstairs, and if I'm going to hang out there for 12 hours a day, I don't want to get chilblains.

No comments: