Saturday, February 9, 2008

Little quilts and little loaves

Looks like the bunny has claimed the little purple disappearing nine patch quilt! Too bad for it has been promised to Emily along with some more diapers for her little dolly.

I think I've got the disappearing nine patch out of my system for now, and will move on to other things. I quilted the fabrics for my jacket entry in the Guild Quilt show for this May, and drafted the pattern to make it. Will post that after I get it together. I did finish my Guild Mystery quilt this week, and it's just waiting for a label. I want to photo it, then print out a black and white label for it, showing the quilt in one corner. Still working on that...if it works, that's how I will do my labels from now on. I use freezer paper, cut to 8'5" x 11" with the same size muslin ironed to the shiny side; then it goes through the printer just like real paper and you can get some really neat labels or fabric that way.

And I finally remembered to take photos of my freshly baked gluten free bread this Wednesday too. I can no longer remember what wheat bread tastes like, so this tastes as good as it looks, at least to me. Here's the recipe for the English Muffins (which I use to make hamburger buns or just sandwich buns if I'm not doing hamburgers:

DRY MIX: (in large mixer bowl)
1-1/2 c gluten free flour mix
1 t. Xanthan gum
1-1/2 t baking powder
1 t. Knox gelatin
1-1/2 t Egg Replacer
1/2 t salt
1-1/2 T sugar
2 T ground flax

WET MIX:
1 c warm water (with 1 t sugar to proof yeast (2-1/4 t) in
1 egg
3 T soft butter
1/2 t vinegar

After yeast is proofed, pour this mix into the flour mix, add egg, butter and vinegar. Beat on med speed for 3 minutes. Fill 6 English Muffin rings (which have been placed on a Pammed cookie sheet and dusted with cornmeal. Let rise for 30 minutes then bake in a 375F oven for 20 to 25 minutes. Cool on rack. Can be stored in freezer and then toasted when needed. If you double the recipe, don't double the yeast measurement. For Christmas buns or Hot Cross Buns: add mixed peel or cherries and some nutmeg and cinnamon. Bake as usual and frost with Crosses in white icing.

I'm grateful this week:

*that Jane called from Nashville to let us know that the tornadoes that devastated the area between Nashbille and Memphis, did not harm them, except for a few trees down.
*that I can see the end of my editing on my cookbook
*that we are all coping with winter, whether it takes the form of huge dumps of snow in the Toronto area, or too much rain on the Wet Coast, or tornadoes and wild weather down South.

No comments: